Tuesday, December 11, 2012

South Beach Miami...


I'm lagging a bit behind on posting stuff, since I'm now back in Kentucky!

After going to the Everglades, we stopped for lunch in downtown Miami.  Then Jon went back to his hotel, promising to catch up again later that afternoon.  Jeff and I wandered around a little after we parked the car up for the day so I could have a look at the art deco buildings around the place.

We wandered down south beach on the opposite side of the road from the hotels, partially so I could take photos of the art deco hotels.  The real reason is that every single hotel along that strip has a restaurant/cafe/bar in the bottom, that spills out into the sidewalk.  Which means to walk along that side of the street, you walk through the cafe seating.  And every single cafe has 3 people, yelling in your ear - "WE HAVE A HAPPY HOUR ON NOW!" "HERE'S OUR MENU!" "TABLE FOR 2?"... Gets a bit much after the first one.
















We also wandered down onto South Beach itself.  I swear I find Australians everywhere in the USA.  I found an Australian family when we were at Fort Boonesboro, then on the beach at Miami, I find another, wandering along the beach in his Aussie flag boardshorts with his Oakley frogskin sunglasses on.  Could he be more cliche'ed?  I dipped my feet into the ocean there too for Becka - she had asked me to do that while I was in Canada.  I have to say it was lovely to do that too, after the heat of the day beating down on me!


 
 








We went back to the hotel room, dropped off our gear, got showered and dressed, then went to catch Jon and Christie for dinner.  Before we caught them, I wandered down Ocean Ave again for some more photos.

 
 




 




 


 

Eventually we found Jon and Christie, then picked somewhere to eat that had Mojitos.  The restaurants automatically add in the tips for you on your bill, so tipping doesn't guarantee good service.  Not only could our waitress not carry four drinks on her tray (someone had to follow her with Jon and my Mojitos), she tipped Jeff's root beer all over the table and nearly over him as well.  Food was ok, rest of the service was ok, but was it worth 18% gratuity?  Not really.  The mojitos, we came to find out were a staggering $17 each.  We quickly moved on from there, since again, they were good, but not worth $17.
I was grabbed as we wondered on to somewhere else.  2 for 1 deal on their cocktails, and they were BIG.  I asked how much they were, $25... Double the size, for less than the original cost.  SOLD to the lady with eyes bigger than her tummy.
 
 

Biggest.Pina.Colada.Ever.  Really tasty too, not cheap and nasty premix.  AND, I managed to drink the whole lot.  I was so full after that my stomach was rock hard and hurt.  After walking around a bit, I said to Jeff that I needed to go lay down.  Too much cocktail!

The next morning (without hangover - I woke up at midnight with a pounding headache, so I downed two bottles of water!) after checking out of the hotel, and dumping our luggage in the car, we set off for a walk to Lincoln Rd, which I was led to believe was a shopping mall much like Brisbane's Queen Street (which it wasn't... It was somewhat pathetic!).  I did however find the Art Deco Gift Shop, wherein I bought myself some neat stuff!





 
 

 
 
 

Lunch time, back to South Beach to Johnny Rockets, a 1950's diner with hamburgers and Floats (Spiders!). Tasty hamburger, and even though I shouldn't, I had myself a fanta float... yum yum yum!

 

Then, it was time to farewell Jon, Christie and Miami Beach to head for the Florida Keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment