Monday, December 17, 2012

A walk around Key West

Still so much to catch up on!

it started raining after we left the fort, so we headed back to the hotel room.  I did make him slow down to take photos of the Truman Annex, and the pretty rainbows!

 
 
 

Later that afternoon, Jeff and I took a walk around Key West.  The first thing you notice is the main street has pretty much 2 things.  Tshirt shops, and bars!

We walked down the street a little, then ventured off to find Ernest Hemmingway's House and the lighthouse, along with Truman's little White house before settling in to watch the sunset at Mallory Square.

Some things that stood out to me.... Chickens and Roosters roaming the street, people walking down the street with beer in their hands all times of the day, and manly men on mopeds.






Bit of an interesting story about the photos with the bird.  Fellow with bird, comes along, I remark on what a beautiful bird he is.  Fellow says "yeah, I'll take your photo with him".. and proceeds to put the bird on Jeff's shoulder and take two pictures.  THEN and only then, he mentions that we have to pay for the photos.  Maybe I'm niave, but I thought that was pretty low.






Chickens! Roaming the streets!

  These pretty creatures were in the yard of the lighthouse that we walked down to find.  We couldn't get a picture of the lighthouse, it was obscured by the beautiful fig you can see in the picture to the left.  There were other statues as well, but they didn't catch my eye as much as the victorian dancers.


The below is a picture of the lighthouse keeper's house.
Ernest Hemmingway's house.  Apparently you can do tours (for a price) and see his six-toed cats.  Which I have to say are pretty cute. (http://www.hemingwayhome.com/cats/).. But, it was crowded (I waited for a break in the tourists loitering by the sign), and I wasn't intrested in paying to enter.
BABY CHICKENS! Roaming the street.  And mother hen wasn't that perplexed when I wander up near them.
Some random houses I thought were neat.

The Key West Court House.
This house had a magnificent ficcus (I think that's what I mean? - MUM?) that formed an archway over it's driveway.  See the next picture....
Truman's little white house.  Was originally built as naval officers housing, but was used by Truman as his Winter White House.  http://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/





Customs House. Again, with the neat Victorian dancers statues, although this one is MASSIVE.







From here, we wandered down to Mallory Square (behind Customs House) to watch the sunset.  I had originally thought we might watch it from the the beach in front of the fort, and in hindsight I wish I had not changed my mind.  We arrived at the square to find two massive cruise ships in port, right in front of where the sun would be setting.  They did move off, but personally, I think I would have enjoyed the unobstructed view from the Beach in front of the fort more.

 
 
 
 

 I thought Dad might get a kick out of these two boats in front of the sun.  Tough life huh?
 

 I know, it's an ugly sunset.. ;)
 

I kept snapping until there was no more colour in the clouds.  Then it was time to wander back to catch the bus.  Apparently if we were good tourists, we'd be going to the bars and drinking ourselves stupid.  I was more interested in having a good meal and getting some rest before getting up early to go indulge my historical places obsession!

 
 
 
 
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment