Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving and Black Friday

Thanksgiving was lovely with the whole family.  Lots of turkey, sweet potato, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, cherry pie...

After making the trip back from Louisville, I head over with Jewell to Walmart to check out the start of Black Friday sales.  I didn't actually buy anything on the big sales - I have no reason to buy a 40" Plasma TV that I can't plug in at home.

There wasn't a single carpark left when we got there, but we snuck into one as someone left.  After pushing my way around the store, and picking out the things I wanted, we lined up for an hour.  The line was all the way to the back of the store, but it was moving fairly well.  I was amazed at the number of people that pushed wandered down to the front, citing "I just want to get through to go up that way", and then all of a sudden, they're in the line right up the front, with 3 TV's (when you're only supposed to get one each).

Despite all this, I went shopping for black friday sales at Hancock Fabrics.  I only bought a couple of pieces of fabric from the red tag clearance area, which were 50% off, one striped silk that was marked down from $30/yd to $8.50/yd.  So I bought the 8.5 yds that was there for a Georgian dress.  I also picked up a flocked spot tafetta for $4/yd for a 1950s dress.  Trims were marked down as well, I looked through, and bought some trims that I'm hoping will work for my 1480s green velvet coat.  Buttons were 50% off too, so I picked up some metal buttons that I think will work for Victorian, and some that will work for 1480s.  I was a bit disappointed that Lincraft and Spotlight actually have more in the way of laces (I kid not!).

Other than that, I went and looked for some jeans to take to Canada.  I don't like jeans on me anymore, so I only bought one pair.  I have two pairs of pants, so they will do, even if I have to wear tights underneath.

Weather for the most part is still good.  I thought I was going to have to phone my Dad and yell at him this morning.  After complaining that it didn't seem cold enough and there should be snow, it was rainy this morning and I had to put on my coat, but he's lucky it fined up at lunchtime into another beautiful clear sunny day.  Oh yeah Dad, I been having lots of Ale-8 for you.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Fort Boonesborough for the 18thC markets, and then we'll head over to Lexington for some shopping and to catch up with some friends for dinner and watching Skyfall.  So there will be photos tomorrow night.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Feel free to email with news from home... Like someone (Richard) could tell me how my little girl is (Richard)...

1 comment:

  1. Sunday morning here. 30 degrees C threatened for today with 36 next week. We've hosted 2 bbqs in the last two days. Fillet steak, prawns & sausages on the Barbie! So we are veery busy!! No news to tell for us!

    I will see Norm & Debbie as well as Richard & Angie today. Kylie & Geoff and the girls won't be at church today. Geoff has organised a Work Break-up at Wet & Wild. They will enjoy that. Sarah is in the throes of dress rehearsals for her concert next week. For the first time Kylie ddoesn't have to worry about her heart. So, just to compensate, Sarah fell down a flight of concrete stairs!

    Gail thinks Scott & Sally are returning to Redcliffe in the near future. Tanya arrives on 12th. At 1.00 am.!! Perhaps it was a cheaper flight!

    Loved the leaves. We don't ever see those here. Too tropical. And I remember that horse accommodation. I have photos too. Jeff must have taken us there too. It is one of my strong memories of Kentuckey!! Love the houses. They are what I imasgined of Southern America!

    Must away. Church today!

    Love Mum & Dad.

    PS Dad's comment re weather: Diddums!! You will go to strange places!!

    ReplyDelete